Ipe Hardwood Porches
Shortly after our founding in 1983, Virginia Decking & Remodeling LLC has been considered by some to be the nation’s premier Ipe Design & Build company. Not only have we found a way to build Ipe wood decks and porches for half what others charge, but we recently started offering something no other deck firm in the nation has yet: A one time application, 20+ year maintenance solution that can give you the sexiest deck in town. No, really.
Ipe (pronounced e-pay) deck wood is a hardwood flooring and frequently goes by various names… or is grouped with similar exotic hardwoods: Cambara, Ipe decking, Brazilian walnut flooring, greenheart wood, Ironwood™, and Pau Lope™ to name a few.
Most of this hardwood flooring grows in South America and it is noted for extreme density and hardness (actually sinks in water). Ipe as a deck wood is
- Five times harder than pressure treated yellow southern pine
- Ipe decking carries the highest rating against rot and insects (termites).
- Ipe deck wood exceeds the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements for slip resistance when wet.
- Ipe as a deck wood carries the highest rating for fire resistance.
- Ipe deck wood is so durable that, left untreated, it will last over 40 years, and up to 100 years if deck oil is applied.
- Ipe hardwood decks typically have a deep, rich brown luster with some pieces displaying a golden hue giving the wood beauty and character. See photos below.
Whether you buy Ipe decking, Cambera decking, Brazilian walnut flooring, greenheart wood, or Pau Lope™… you are getting a wonderful exotic hardwood flooring that gives lasting beauty year after year after year.
What are the negatives? Ipe deck wood is so dense that a carbide tipped saw blade is necessary. Ipe does rout nicely but it must be predrilled for fasteners. Also, when it comes to finishing Ipe with a sealer, it is an expensive, difficult, time consuming job that will have to be re-done every 6 months to 2 years depending on which coating you use.
There is no other natural material that will outlast or look as beautiful as Ipe deck wood. Ipe hardwood decks will remain smooth and splinter free as long as you own your deck!
Ipe deck wood provides the beauty of wood without the hassles of the high maintenance pressure treated decking. Ipe decking is beauty in wood… and low maintenance if you leave it unfinished.
Want a free quote on an Ipe porch? Call or click and we will use our copyrighted Excel Pricing Spreadsheet right over the phone. It is accurate and fast.